Tuesday, December 19, 2006

'Twas the Tuesday before Christmas and all through my freezing cold body...

You're seriously going to fire me from blogging, aren't you? Yeah, yeah, I know. I suck.

So my sister had her 5th baby this morning. That brings the number of grandchildren up to an even 20! And thank god it wasn't me who had to do it... :) They named him (oh, it was a boy) Jonathan Washington ____. So that gives us 2 Jonathans and 2 Alex's in our little pod. You'd think the 6 of us could be more creative with our baby-naming, don't you? Well we can't.

My grandparents had 31 grandchildren. Of my 25 cousins, I know all their names, in what order they were born (in each family, not overall) and a very, very limited idea of what they're doing with their lives. When we were younger we'd see each other a lot, mostly at family reunions or during various travels. But frankly, I'd be surprised if any of them had the first clue what my life is like.

In the generation of my own children and nieces / nephews, they seems to be a lot closer than I was with my cousins. I know it helps that we all live close to each other, and that we hang out as brothers and sisters. In fact, my one brother who has always lived out of state seems to be the most out-of-the-loop with things. That's okay, but I sure wish we knew his kids better.

Anyway, the relationship with my kids and their cousins is somewhere between cousin and brother or sister. Close cousins, I guess. That's really cool, in my opinion. I would love to look up some of my cousins and get reacquainted with them, but it just seems like too much work, especially since they're all out of state.

**closing tangent**
So I got pulled over the other day (RARE) because my registration is past due. No big deal, the cop was nice, and yes I got a ticket. But anyhow, a short while later my friend calls me up and asks me, "DUDE. Did you just get pulled over?!?" Of course this was baffling to me, that she knew of it only minutes later. It turns out that a mutual friend of ours was actually riding in the police car that pulled me over, and recognized my name when the guy pulled it up. Maybe that's not all that neat, but it's funny as crap to me... :)

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

The world's too small to have any secrets. Sheesh. :)

Thunderchops said...

A friend that was riding in a cruiser? La getting in trouble with the law?

How long will it be before the Sharks and Jets throw down on your front lawn?

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I like to be in Ameeedica, I can be me in Ameeedica! (Can't you just hear me singing in a Puerto Rican accent? I'm good, I tell you.)

Anonymous said...

It's cool that your kids are so close with their cousins. I was close to a few first cousins (not kissing) when I was a kid and into college but when I moved to Arizona that stopped.

My daughter only has one "cousin" in state, and she is part of the family on my wife's side that influenced my wife into joining the TSCC. So I try to limit contact with them and for the most part we don't do much with them. I didn't like them when I was active in the cult and I still don't like them.

Anonymous said...

How can we fire you from blogging?

C. L. Hanson said...

I have about that many cousins, and I guess I'll see what they're up to when we have a family reunion in five years...

My parents only have five grandkids total, though. Too many apostates in my generation who have learned heathen family planning techniques... ;-)