Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Cheesiest Song EVER

It may be cheesy, but I daresay it's every girl's secretly favorite song... :)

Now and Forever by Richard Marx

Whenever I'm weary
From the battles that rage in my head
You make sense of madness
When my sanity hangs by a thread

I lose my way but still you seem to understand
Now and forever, I will be your man.

Sometimes I just hold you
Too caught up in me to see
I'm holding a fortune
That heaven has given to me

I'll try to show you each and every way I can
Now and forever, I will be your man.

Now I can rest my worries and always be sure
That I won't be alone anymore
If I'd only known you were there all the time
All this time

Until the day the ocean doesn't touch the sand
Now and forever, I will be your man.

5 comments:

Sideon said...

My retinas are burning and my ears have caved in... because you summoned the Spirit of Songs That are Better Off Unsung. Or Unplugged - and I'm not talking acoustic here.

He had some good songs. What I liked best were his album covers that showed him wearing tight jeans.

Yes - I have TWO of his cds. I don't know that he ever did anything after that. No - I refuse to google it!

Rebecca said...

Never heard it. But ew. Really - EW. I will, however, admit to loving "I'd Love You To Want Me" by Lobo. Even with the bloody feet image.

Bishop Rick said...

Regardless of how good the song is, the words ring true alot of the time. Kind of like that paved paradise...you don't know what you've got til its gone...

MattMan said...

Woohoo! For once someone posted lyrics to a song that I know, so I can finally make a comment.

Music is a very interesting phenomenon. As soon as I saw the first line, the song started playing in my head. Instead of just reading from that point on, the music playing in my head took over.

With it came a flood of memories and a tickling of the romantic in me that for some reason gushes over stuff like this. I got swept up in the relationship I did (or didn't) have at the time, what I was doing, even somewhat how I felt (hopeless romantic).

After the song stopped playing in my head and I snapped out of the daydream, I went back and re-read the lyrics -- not with the music, but just as a literary/literal exercise. And I have to say... yuck. I mean I can deal with the sappy romance -- I acknowledge that's part of me; but the unrealistic and irrational religious overtones are somewhat disgusting. I'm all for romantic exaggeration, but it goes beyond that, IMO.

So how can you love and hate something at the same time? Very strange. I can still use the melody to trigger a reaction where I "feel the spirit", but he could've done a lot better on the lyrics. Makes me think he was never a hopeless romantic -- so I say move over, asswipe, let me drive the pen for a while. La, got the guitar handy? Let's fix this! ;)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I hate Richard Marx. Sorry, and I still consider myself a hopeless romantic too. Go figure.